Saturday 18 March 2017

8) Changes in Practice

When I reflect on my own personal learning journey over the last 32 weeks of the Mindlab course, I am satisfied that I have learnt a great deal – in terms of knowledge, but mostly in understanding ways I can improve my practice.

The main ideas that have really resonated with me are:

-the need to teach 21C skills. This is not just another flash-in-the-pan trend in education. Even though we think the way we were taught worked for us (we learnt for sure, was it the best way though?), it is not enough for those entering the today’s world.

- use of technology. This should not just be a more engaging substitute for pen & paper but as a way to transform learning. Yay for the SMAR model! Easy to remember and apply and be challenged by.

- growth mindset. I have read Carol Dweck’s book and a number on on-line resources. I am fascinated about the effect of mindset on learning anything and I keep on seeing examples of fixed or mindsets in myself and others. I am currently introducing these ideas to my Year 9 students and intend to share it with all my learners.

-collaborative practice. I am learning the importance and benefits of this and of the interdisciplinary approach. Teaching this year in a connected learning environment has forced me into some connected learning but I am keen to develop this further.

- reflective practice. I have always been a bit averse to it, mostly because I have thought of it as a way to beat myself up for lessons that haven’t gone well. The Mindlab course has taken me out of my comfort zone and challenged me to understand what it is about and to see the real benefits it can bring. I intend to keep developing reflective practice.


There are two Practising Teacher Criteria1 that I would like to discuss here.
1. establish and maintain effective professional relationships focused on the learning and well-being of ākonga
i. engage in ethical, respectful, positive and collaborative professional relationships with:
·         ākonga
·         teaching colleagues, support staff and other professionals
·         whānau and other carers of ākonga
·         agencies, groups and individuals in the community

As a teacher I am committed to promoting the learning and well-being of ākonga at our school. It has been valuable to learn practical ways of collaborating through digital means with my school colleagues, but especially through widening my community of practice to include colleagues in other schools and even around the world. No longer do we need to feel isolated as practitioners, there are plenty of fellow teachers out there with the same goals and grappling with the same issues as us. Digital tools enable us to make connections in our community or beyond. We can establish and maintain relationships with many others who are committed to the well-being of ākonga.

12. use critical inquiry and problem-solving effectively in their professional practice
i. systematically and critically engage with evidence and professional literature to reflect on and refine practice
ii. respond professionally to feedback from members of their learning community

iii. critically examine their own beliefs, including cultural beliefs, and how they impact on their professional practice and the achievement of ākonga

The Mindlab course has taught me, among other things, a great deal about critical inquiry, evidence-based practice and cultural responsiveness. This week’s reading on reflective practice has articulated a lot of muddled ideas I have had about experiential learning, problem-solving approaches and self-reflection. Osterman & Kottkamp (1993)2 present reflective practice as “a means by which practitioners can develop a greater level of self-awareness about the nature and impact of their performance, an awareness that creates opportunities for professional growth and development” (p. 2). From reading this article I see reflective practice as a meaningful and self-directed way to approach & try to solve real, relevant problems through changing our behaviour. The traditional approach to professional development is based on knowledge acquisition and is largely ineffective at producing behavioural change. Reflective practice on the other hand, considers self-awareness (and acceptance that some of our own behaviours need to change), emotional and cultural factors that go along with making changes to behaviour.

So my goal for professional development in the foreseeable future is to embrace reflective practice and use it to problem-solve and enhance areas of my practice. The learning will continue...



REFERENCES:
1Ministry of Education (nd). Practising teacher Criteria and e-learning . Retrieved from http://elearning.tki.org.nz/Professional-learning/

2Osterman, K. & Kottkamp, R. (1993). Reflective Practice for Educators. California.Cornwin Press, Inc. Retrieved from http://www.itslifejimbutnotasweknowit.org.uk/files/RefPract/Osterman_Kottkamp_extract.pdf

No comments:

Post a Comment